Saturday, February 19, 2011

Longer than a facebook status update

Well, my long-promised blog has finally come to fruition.  Things are moving pretty quickly for me lately, so I know family and friends are curious to know all about it....

First things first, the blog title may change.  But for now, I think it's punny.  Suggestions are welcome.  Shane suggested "Lady Haga: Bike Romance" but I fear too many of you won't get it.

Topics will probably include race reports, new recipes I can't get enough of, old stories I like to tell again and again, and--given the adventure I'm about to embark upon--living frugally.

Now then, down to the goings on of late.

Most of you know that I joined a team called Firefighters Cycling Association late last fall.  The team is based in Walla Walla, Washington and has a lot of young talent looking to make the next step up in their racing careers.  I was really excited to be a part of a team associated with the heroes of 9/11 and all first responders who risk their lives saving ours.  If things had gone according to plan, I would be moving to Walla Walla in just a few short days.

Without going into too much detail, the team was cut down at the knees just a few weeks ago when a key sponsor decided not to write the check.  Allen, the team director, did not put down his phone for days on end to right the ship.  The cycling world is smaller than you'd think, and people stepped up to keep the team going.  In the mean time, I began working on a backup plan, just in case.  I called up a contact from months ago that runs a team in Colorado, and wouldn't you know it the team had one spot remaining.

Well, Allen was able to save the team, and I had a decision to make.  The new support would change the team's racing focus somewhat, whereas Team Rio Grande was more inline with the racing that suits me best.  After much stressing, many phone calls, and input from a handful of close friends and family, it became clear that the move to Rio Grande would provide me the best opportunity.  However, opportunity does not come without risk.  I'll be moving to Fort Collins, Colorado very soon, where I'll need to find part-time work to pay for housing and food....

And to be honest, I'm kind of excited about that.  In the last 4.5 years, I've never been more motivated to train and race than when school was trying to keep me off the bike.  A job should serve as perfect motivation to keep after the training and racing and fill the gaps in between.

It was very difficult, though, to leave teammates that I had yet to even meet and a team that I had looked forward to for months.  And I must sincerely thank Allen for keeping my best interests in mind and letting me go.

I'm not yet sure when I'll make the move to Fort Collins...need to find a place to stay, first! Stay tuned, this year's about to take off in a hurry.